Friday, February 1, 2008

Chevron Scarf: from Caribbean to Cold


Pattern: Chevron Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Art Socks that Rock medium-weight in "Farmhouse" and "Chickabiddy"
Needles: Lantern Moon size6
cast on: Jan10 cast off: Jan31

So I cast on here at home to make certain that the only thing I needed to do was the chevron pattern portion of the pattern. I love the color combo of these two. I kept wondering if I should have stuck with the golden-only colors of the 24Karat, but I really love the colors in the Chickabiddy. They match the red colors of both of my winter jackets.


I worked on this in the evenings when we had days-at-port and afternoons in the sun when we had days-at-sea. It was a great small project to carry around. Now that I am back in Alaska, it is well received for the weather that we are having. Left Tampa at 65F and back in Fairbanks at -45F. Thank goodness it was -10F yesterday, I was able to take pictures outside.

Here is the scarf in more detail. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the color combo. I didn't knit they whole 77", I stopped at a very reasonable 56" it wraps around the neck, both sides hang down. Works great.

side note: I really expected, since we sailed on a Holland America cruise, and the clientele is customarily the other end of the age range, that there would be more knitters on board. I saw that the Knitting at Sea cruise was Holland America (if I had time in March I would definately hop on that one) so I erroneously thought there would be knitting cohorts aboard. Nope, two crocheters, one tatter, but no knitters, no knitting friends. Just me, sitting on the aft deck at the aft bar knitting with the cigar smokers. It was still fun, kept me busy, and the pattern is so easy, the pina coladas didnt even mess it up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beauty! Fantastic colors!!

And the cruise photo .. sigh .. At least we're starting to notice the lengthening days.

Asti said...

Fabuloso colours ! I love that scarf pattern, hmm i need a new project. Just found your blog, it's great. Can't even imagine how cold you get it in Alaska...you look nice and warm on the cruise though ;)